Personalized treatment for dry eyes can be found in Laguna Hills
Nearly five million Americans aged 50 and older suffer from chronic dry eyes, and the condition is more prevalent in women. Each of those individuals has unique eyes, physiology, discomfort tolerance, and lifestyle. At Orange County Eye Institute in Laguna Hills, patients get personal attention from a nationally-recognized vision care expert. Dr. George Salib designs individualized treatment protocols for dry eyes to improve comfort and avoid vision loss.
Why eyes get dry
Chronic dry eyes generally stem from one of these conditions:
- Dysfunctional tear syndrome – Inadequate quantity and quality of tear fluid.
- Keratitis sicca – Dryness and inflammation originating at the cornea.
- Keratoconjunctivitis sicca – Dryness affecting both the cornea and the thin, clear membrane called the conjunctiva. It covers the inner portion of eyelids and the front surface of the eye.
Multiple treatment options
Dr. Salib begins with a thorough examination of your eyes, using highly-advanced diagnostic technologies. Then he may recommend:
- Ophthalmic drops – Over the counter drops, gels, and ointments may provide sufficient lubrication. In other cases, prescription drops reduce inflammation and increase tear production.
- Lid hygiene – Simple steps, such as warm compresses, massage, and eyelid cleaning. These techniques reduce symptoms by helping the body naturally balance the lipid (oily), aqueous (watery), and mucin (mucous-like) components of tears.
- Punctal plugs – These tiny devices, about the size of a grain of rice, are inserted into tear ducts to block drainage. This increases tear film on the surface of eyes.
CALL OUR OFFICE FOR MORE INFORMATION(949) 441-5444
You don’t have to suffer the discomfort of dry eyes. Relief begins with a call to Orange County Eye Institute in Laguna Hills, CA for effective treatment. Call (949) 441-5444.
Back to Dry Eye Treatments Page