Diplomate, American Board of Ophthalmology
Orange County Eye Institute
24411 Health Center Dr., Ste. 340, Laguna Hills, CA 92653
- M.D. University of Wisconsin School of Medicine 1995-1998
- M.S. Georgetown University Graduate School of 1992-1993
Physiology and Biophysics
- B.S. University of California, Los Angeles 1987-1992
Los Angeles, California
- Cataract Surgery – De La Pena Eye Clinic, Montebello, CA 90640, 2003-2004
Preceptors: William C. De La Pena, Albert De La Pena
- Cornea and External Diseases/Refractive Surgery– Tulane University, New Orleans, Louisiana, 2002-2003.
Preceptors: Stephen Brint, Delmar Caldwell, Miles Friedlander,
Peter Kastl, and Marguerite McDonald.
- Ophthalmology, King-Drew Medical Center, Los Angeles,
- General Surgery, Medical College of Pennsylvania-Hahnemann
University Hospital, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 1998-1999.
- Chief Resident, Ophthalmology, 2001-2002
- Univ. of Wisconsin School of Medicine Fellowship, 1995-98.
- Appointed USMLE Study Group Leader, 1995.
- Outstanding Student Award for highest GPA, 1994.
- Top of Class, 1993-94.
- UCLA Alumni Scholarship (State Finalist—top 5 in California), 1988.
- UCLA Regents Scholarship (highest academic honor), 1988.
- UCLA College Honors, 1988.
- President in UCLA Residence Hall, 1988.
- Palos Verdes Bank Scholarship, 1988.
- UCLA High School Scholars Program, 1987-88.
- Orange County Medical Association
- Orange County Society of Ophthalmology
- American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery
- American Academy of Ophthalmology
- Contact Lens Association of Ophthalmologists
- UCLA Alumni Association
- University of Wisconsin Medical School Alumni Association
- Georgetown University Alumni Association
- American Medical Association
- International Society of Refractive Surgery
- Lucio Buratto, Stephen Brint, and George Salib: Chapter 5-LASIK With a Nasal Hinge. In Custom LASIK, 3rd ed. edited by Lucio Buratto and Stephen Brint, SLACK, Inc.
- Marguerite McDonald, J.Davidorf, R.Maloney, E. Manche, P. Hersh, And George Salib: Chaper 9-Conductive Keratoplasty for the Correction of Low to Moderate Hyperopia. In Hyperopia and Presbyopia, edited by Tsubota, Wachler, Azar and Koch, Marcel Dekker, Inc.
- Karim Rasheed, George Salib, Yaron S. Rabinowitz. Tectonic Lamellar Keratoplasty for Pellucid Marginal Degeneration. In Surgical Techniques in anterior and posterior lamellar corneal surgery, 2006, edited by Thomas John.
- George M. Salib, M.D., M.S. Dry Eye Disease in Ocular Surgery.
Ophthalmology Management. 2006; 10(9): 75-76.
- Vanessa Caceres. (reviewed by George M. Salib, M.D., M.S.) Pre-op and post-op dry-eye treatment may lead to better outcomes.
Eye World. 2006; 11(9): 49-50.
- Salib, G. (2015, Aug.). The Team is Everything. Perceptions, 9-10.
- Salib, G. (2015, April). Cataracts – When to Refer. Perceptions, 6-7.
- Salib, G. (2014, Dec.) The Big Picture. Perceptions, 5-6
- Salib, G. (2014, Oct.) IOL Differences Made Easy. Perceptions, 5-7.
- Salib, G. (2014, Aug.) To Co-Manage or Not To Co-Manage? That Is The Question! Perceptions, 9-10.
- Salib, G. (2014, June) Reflections on Not Having an Optical Shop. Perceptions, 11-12.
- Salib, G. (2014, Apr.) The Importance of Testing. Perceptions, 10-11.
- Salib, G. (2014 Feb.) Postoperative Management of Cataract Surgery – Top Ten. Perceptions, 13-15.
- Salib, G. (2013, Nov.) Accommodative IOL Combined with a Toric IOL – First Ever in the USA. Perceptions, 13-14.
- Salib, G. (2013, Sept.) Choosing the Right IOL. Perceptions, 11-12.
- Salib, G. (2013, July) The Little Things We Do: Customer Service. Perceptions, 10-11.
- Salib, G. (2013, May) Comanaging the Catarat Patient for the Best Outcomes. Perceptions, 6-7.
- Salib, G. (2013, Mar.) Keeping Our Orange County Patients Safe with Glaucoma Testing. Perceptions, 8-9.
- Salib, G. (2013, Jan) Laser Cataract Surgery. Perceptions, 9-10.
- Salib, G. (2012, Sept.) To Dilate or Not To Dilate: That is the Question. Perceptions, 6-7.
- Salib, G. (2012, July) Practice Building With Dry Eye Disease. Perceptions, 14-15.
- Vanessa Caceres. (reviewed by George M. Salib, M.D., M.S.) Dry-eye talking points to use with your patients. Eye World. 2006; 11(9): 54-56.
- George M. Salib, M.D., M.S., Marguerite B. McDonald, M.D., F.A.C.S., Michael Smolek, Ph.D. Safety and efficacy of cyclosporine 0.05% drops versus unpreserved artificial tears in dry-eye patients having laser in situ keratomileusis. Journal of Cataract and Refractive Surgery. 2006; 32(5): 772-778.
- Gramates PH, McDonald MB, Salib G, Clark L. Safety and efficacy of levofloxacin 1.5% eye drops in nonhuman primates having penetrating keratoplasty: Clinical and laboratory findings. Journal of Cataract and Refractive Surgery. 2005; 21:1995-1998.
- Guttman, C (Reviewed by George M. Salib, MD, MS), Dry eye sufferers may now consider LASIK procedure. Ophthalmology Times. 2003; 28(23):19-20.
- Salib, G. Lasik for dry eye patients. Cataract and Refractive Surgery Today, October 2003: 68-69.
- Salib, G (Reviewed). New prescription dry eye treatment studied as part of LASIK care. Ophthalmology Management. 2003;7(5):55-56.
- Chalita, MR, Krueger, R, McDonald, M, Salib, G, et al. A primer on wavefront-guided customized ablations utilizing the LADARWave Wavefront Aberrometer. 2003.
- Salib, GM, Restasis calms ocular surface inflammation. Review of Refractive Surgery, 2003; 4(3):33-35.
- OCOS Pathology Symposium, “Laser Assisted Cataract Surgery & Premium IOLs,” September 13, 2015.
- OCOS Pathology Symposium, “Glaucoma Updates,” August 10, 2014.
- OCOS Pathology Symposium, “Premium IOLs, The Latest and Greatest,” 2013.
- OCOS Pathology Symposium, “Glaucoma,” 2012.
- Durezol Dinner Lecture, “Management of Inflammation Following Ocular Surgeries,” October 17, 2011.
- Cataracts, Senior Plus Meeting, 2010, Laguna Hills, CA
- ASCRS Summer Meeting, “Dry Eye Syndrome following LASIK,” August 4, 2005, with Marguerite McDonald, MD.
- 38th Annual C.S. O’Brien Professorship, “Analysis of Cataract and Glaucoma Surgery Performed by Delmar Caldwell, M.D.,” June 13, 2003.
- 38th Annual C.S. O’Brien Professorship, “Use of Cyclosporine 0.05% Drops vs. Unpreserved Artificial Tears in Dry Eye Patients Having LASIK,” June 13, 2003.
- ASCRS 2003 Meeting Session 4-C, “Use of Cyclosporine 0.05% Drops vs. Unpreserved Artificial Tears in Dry Eye Patients Having LASIK,” April 15, 2003.
- ASCRS 2003 Meeting Lightning Round-Best of Cornea Papers, “Use of Cyclosporine 0.05% Drops vs. Unpreserved Artificial Tears in Dry Eye Patients Having LASIK,” April 12, 2003.
- ASCRS 2003 Meeting Santen Lecture on the results of a study on the use of topical levofloxacin in primate corneal transplants. April 11, 2003, with Marguerite McDonald, MD.
- Hawaii 2003-the Royal Hawaiian Eye Meeting, Maui. “Clinical comparison of gel-assisted vs. alcohol-assisted LASEK,” January 24, 2003, with Marguerite McDonald, MD.
- Contact Lens Association of Ophthalmologists (CLAO) Regional Basic Contact Lens Course, “Therapeutic Contact Lenses,”
November 16, 2002.
- 2002 International Society of Refractive Surgery Fall Refractive and Cataract Symposium, “Advances in LASEK,” October 18, 2002, with Marguerite McDonald, MD.
- TV6 News interview, Laguna Woods Village, 3-12-2012
- TV6 News interview, Laguna Woods Village, 2-13-2012
- TV6 News interview, Laguna Woods Village, 1-09-2012
- TV6 News interview, Laguna Woods Village, 4-9-2012
- TV6 News interview, Laguna Woods Village, 5-14-2012
- TV6 News interview, Laguna Woods Village, 6-11-2012
- TV6 News interview, Laguna Woods Village, 7-9-2012
- TV6 News interview, Laguna Woods Village, 8-13-2012
- TV6 News interview, Laguna Woods Village, 9-10-2012
- TV6 News interview, Laguna Woods Village, 10-8-2012
- TV6 News interview, Laguna Woods Village, 11-5-2012
- TV6 News interview, Laguna Woods Village, 12-10-2012
- TV6 News interview, Laguna Woods Village, 1-14-2013
- TV6 News interview, Laguna Woods Village, 2-11-2013
- TV6 News interview, Laguna Woods Village, 3-4-2013
- TV6 News interview, Laguna Woods Village, 4-1-2013
- TV6 News interview, Laguna Woods Village, 5-13-2013
- TV6 News interview, Laguna Woods Village, 6-3-2013
- TV6 News interview, Laguna Woods Village, 7-1-2013
- TV6 News interview, Laguna Woods Village, 8-5-2013
- TV6 News interview, Laguna Woods Village, 9-9-2013
- TV6 News interview, Laguna Woods Village, 10-7-2013
- TV6 News interview, Laguna Woods Village, 11-4-2013
- TV6 News interview, Laguna Woods Village 12-2-2013
- Compiled and edited CD entitled “LASIK Complications—Prevention and Management,” with Stephen Brint, MD.
- Co-Author of a CD: “The Practical Application of the LADARWave System Map with Clinical Impression of Patient Case Studies”. Maria Regina Chalita, MD, Ronald Krueger, MD, Marguerite McDonald, MD, George Salib, MD, MS, James Salz, MD and Samra Waheed, MD, 2003.
- The effect of cardiac rehabilitation on the long-term health of patients two years post CABG/CABG-valve, Meriter Hospital Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, 1996. Preceptor: Haywood Gilliam, MD.
- The effect of certain chemicals on lower limb locomotion of spinally transsected hamsters, UCLA Department of Kinesiology, 1991-1992. Preceptor: Reginald Edgerton, Ph.D.
- Reperfusion injury in neonatal heart transplantation, UCLA Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, 1990-1991. Preceptor: Hillel Laks, MD.
- “The Physiology of Drowning,” Georgetown University Graduate School of Physiology and Biophysics, 1993. Preceptor: Adam Myers, Ph.D.
- Co-investigator (Primary investigator—Marguerite McDonald, MD) A prospective randomized masked pilot study to compare the safety and efficacy of traditional alcohol-assisted LASEK vs. the newer, gel-assisted LASEK—Protocol #HHI-2.
- Co-investigator (Primary investigator—Marguerite McDonald, MD) A prospective multicenter clinical trial to evaluate the safety and effectiveness of the viewpoint CK system for the correction of presbyopia in emmetropes and hyperopes utilizing the Conductive Keratoplasty (CK) procedure—Protocol #RCS-011-PRS/WIRB 20011129.
- Co-investigator (Primary investigator—Marguerite McDonald, MD) A prospective randomized trial on the use of topical levofloxacin in primate corneal transplants.
- Co-investigator (Primary investigator—Marguerite McDonald, MD) A Pilot study to test the safety and efficacy of Polyvue customized, Wavefront based soft contact lenses in highly aberrated eyes.
- Co-investigator (Primary investigator—Marguerite McDonald, MD; trial sponsor, Allergan) R.E.C.E.T. (Refresh Endura Clinical Experience Trial). A clinical evaluation of Refresh Endura lubricant eye drops in patients with persistent dry eye symptoms.
- A Prospective randomized clinical trial to investigate the safety and Efficacy of Restasis (Cyclosporin 0.05%) drops vs. unpreserved Artificial tear (Refresh) in dry eye patients undergoing LASIK, with Marguerite McDonald, MD. Accepted for ASCRS 2003.
- Predictability of corneal flap thickness using the SKBM, with Stephen F. Brint, MD. Submitted for ASCRS 2003.
- Ziemer Crystalline Femtosecond laser, 2011
- VISX Custom Vue Certification, 2008.
- Diplomate, American Board of Ophthalmology, 2005
- VISX LASIK/PTK Course, 2003.
- SKBM Microkeratome Course, 2002.
- LadarVision Course, 2002.
- Hansatome Microkeratome/C-LASIK Course, 2001.
- Will’s Eye Review Course, 2001.
- Frequent attendee and/or speaker at national meetings such as ASCRS, AAO, Hawaiian Eye Meetings, 1999-present.
- Medical Director, Orange County Eye Institute, Laguna Hills, California, 2011-present.
- De La Pena Eye Clinic, Montebello, California, 2003-2011.
- Tulane Department of Ophthalmology, New Orleans, 2002-2003.
- King-Drew Medical Center Department of Ophthalmology, Los Angeles, California, 1999-2002.
- Medical College of Pennsylvania/Hahnemann University Department of Surgery, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 1998-1999.
- Emergency Medical Technician, Goodhew Ambulance Co., Los Angeles, California, 1989-1991.
OTHER PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES
- National speaker for Allergan.
- Member of the Professional Review Committee of March Vision Care
- Speaker for Ista Pharmaceuticals and Alcon.
- Former speaker for Inspire Pharmaceuticals (now Merck).
- Illumination Foundation Volunteer Ophthalmologist, 2011-present.
- Vision screening at underprivileged sites in Los Angeles, 1999-present.
- Medic Program (healthcare for the underprivileged), 1996.
- Doctors Ought to Care (health education for elementary school), 1996.
- Medical Students for Minority Concerns, 1995-1998.
- Extensive clinical experience in first two years of medical school in underserved areas of Guadalajara, 1993-95.
- Red Cross of Mexico Volunteer, 1994.
- Drug Abuse Outreach Program (first graders), 1993.
- Youth Leader at Church.
- Church free clinic volunteer
- Spending time with my family, including my three kids.
- Swimming, reading*, piano, violin, viola, weightlifting.
- Spanish (fluent written and spoken)