Glaucoma specialists like Dr. Salib offer patients in the area of Laguna Hills tips for managing eye health
Individuals with glaucoma suffer from chronic increased pressure within the eye. Due to the constant constriction on the optic nerve; however light it may be, damage to this structure builds up over time. The ultimate danger of glaucoma is loss of eyesight. Glaucoma specialists offer patients several types of therapy, from eye drops to surgery, to manage this condition. Dr. George Salib of Orange County Eye Institute in Laguna Hills discusses with patients the role of lifestyle choices, in addition to therapeutic treatments, in the management of eye health.
Back To Glaucoma Home Page
Lifestyle changes complement medical treatments for glaucomaThe primary goal of glaucoma management is to control intraocular pressure in order to preserve the optic nerve. While studies are ongoing to determine the extent of benefit from lifestyle changes, patients may want to identify areas where lifestyle habits can maximize the potential of medical care.
- Smoking. This habit is not directly related to an increased risk of glaucoma. Cigarette smoke does; however, affect the overall health of the eyes and body and should be avoided.
- Alcohol. In the short term, alcohol consumption actually lowers intraocular pressure. Daily consumption; however, has been shown to increase pressure. Studies have not confirmed that daily alcohol consumption is an increased risk factor for the development of glaucoma.
- Caffeine. A cup of coffee every day may not have a noticeable impact on vision. Due to increase in intraocular pressure, there is an increased risk for those who drink 5 or more cups a day according to one study on caffeine and glaucoma.
- Yoga may be very good for the mind and body. Positions in which the head is downshould be avoided by individuals with glaucoma due to the fact that inversions increase pressure in the eyes.
- Aerobic exercise and weight lifting for the glaucoma patients should be approved by a physician first.
- What people in Laguna Hills really want to know about glaucoma treatment
- Managing glaucoma with effective treatment in Laguna Hills
- Recognize glaucoma symptoms, urges Laguna Hills ophthalmologist
- Gait may be a sign your eye surgeon assesses for glaucoma before treatment in Laguna Hills
- Glaucoma specialists like Dr. Salib offer patients in the area of Laguna Hills tips for managing eye health
- Eye surgeon near Mission Viejo recommends Glaucoma Surgery as an advanced treatment
- Improve vision with laser treatments for glaucoma in Laguna Hills, CA
- Early detection key to optimal treatment results
- Keeping our Orange County patients safe with Glaucoma testing
- What to do in Laguna Hills when you suspect glaucoma symptoms
- Our patients from Lake Forest and surrounding areas learn the importance of early glaucoma diagnosis
Back To Glaucoma Home Page
Meet The Doctor
George M. Salib, MD
Why Choose Us
Orange County Eye Institute is committed to helping individual patients live their lives to the fullest by maximizing their vision with personalized care.
Orange County Eye InstituteRating : 5
I like to thank the whole staff for excellent service and to welcome me as a new patient. And to thank Dr. Salib for answering all my questions and provide me with excellent care. I highly recommend Dr. George Salib for his excellent service.