Are you a candidate?
Are you a LASIK candidate? Find out when you visit Orange County Eye Institute in Laguna HillsLASIK has come to be recognized as a highly effective treatment for moderate astigmatism and farsightedness. This in-office procedure is also an excellent choice for correcting advanced nearsightedness. Though millions of men and women have reduced or eliminated their reliance on corrective lenses with LASIK, the fact is that there are those for whom this procedure is not ideal. There is no guarantee of 20/20 vision, though most people who select this treatment do experience a marked improvement in visual sharpness.
The selection process for LASIK is very precise; during consultation with experienced eye specialist, Dr. George Salib, several points will be assessed. Are you a LASIK candidate? Consultation in our Laguna Hills office will cover points such as:
- Patients must be at least 18 years of age.
- General health must be good, with conditions such as diabetes well under control. Immune support is also important and conditions or medications that compromise the immune response must be considered.
- Good eye health is also necessary for LASIK. We specifically look for conditions such as corneal disease, cataracts, glaucoma, and keratoconus. Additional conditions that could stand in the way of LASIK qualification include herpes zoster and herpes simplex.
- Eye health and eye problems are two different points that we discuss in the consultation process. Active or recurring eye problems may impede healing, and conditions such as muscular imbalance (strabismus) or lazy eye (amblyopia) may affect outcome. Keloid scarring is also a potential problem, as can be claustrophobia or back problems that may be exacerbated by lying flat on the treatment table. It is important to report any eye or health problems to your physician when considering LASIK.
- Because hormones may affect the metabolism of post-operative medications, LASIK is not performed on pregnant or nursing mothers.
- The eyes should be clear of injury or infection.
- Ideal LASIK candidates will not have chronic problems with dry eye.
- No changes in vision should have occurred in the previous twelve months.
- Corneal thickness should be no less than 0.5mm.
We are happy to talk with you personally about the LASIK procedure and its suitability for your needs. Call Orange County Eye Institute at (949) 441-5444 today.
Meet The Doctor
George M. Salib, MD
Why Choose Us
Orange County Eye Institute is committed to helping individual patients live their lives to the fullest by maximizing their vision with personalized care.
Orange County Eye InstituteRating : 5
I like to thank the whole staff for excellent service and to welcome me as a new patient. And to thank Dr. Salib for answering all my questions and provide me with excellent care. I highly recommend Dr. George Salib for his excellent service.